Nothing is more refreshing than a cucumber salad in summer. Along with Indian raita, one of my favorites is this simple salad made with slicing cucumbers, sweet onions, and vinaigrette. Although cucumbers are technically not in season here in Florida now, they were plentiful and cheap at Aldi this past week (50 cents each). If your cucumbers are waxed cukes from the supermarket (as are mine), you will need to peel them. If you are lucky enough to get organic cucumbers at a farmer’s market, you may want to leave the peels right on the cukes.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 thin slices of sweet onion (Vidalia type), separated into rings
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar (or other vinegar of choice)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Alternate layers of cucumber and onion in a small individual bowl.
- Splash olive oil and vinegar evenly over the slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and grind pepper over the salad.
Lunch today was BBQ lima bean sandwich with cucumber-onion salad and mandarin oranges.
Till next time, stay frugal and fancy-free.